Friday, September 5, 2008

TGIF to the highest degree!

Wow, it's only Friday?!?! This has been a VERY long week already - and I've only had students for 3 days. We finished up the "All about Me" posters, and I hung those up this afternoon. We introduced the students to the Word Wall and got some great additions from some of the words they were using on their posters.

Yesterday, Mrs. Z asked me to come up with some sort of activity or lesson to do with the kids today. I pulled out my "5 minute warmup" book and decided to expand one of the activities. Since we'll be starting next week with curriculum, I decided to do an exploration of the reading book to help students get familiar with the layout of the book. Once we had gone through the book, I started a scavenger hunt to help them find specific things (pages, stories, poems, definitions, etc). For those of you who I grew up with... think Scripture Chase (books closed, hands off, and GO). The first two didn't grab their attention, but I'm sure that's because they were getting the hang of it. After the first few, they got really excited about it... and really joined in. One things that came from this was the obvious need for more work on a Table of Contents and Glossary/Index searches. I personally need to figure out some more enthusiastic ways to teach and to help them be responsible and to follow the rules. 

On a side note... the building I'm in is a "Green" building... welcome to Oregon! We have these solar panels for lighting... and we have this 1 really STUPID feature in the building. We have 3 long flourescent lights in our classroom. The one closest to the window goes on and off all day... depending how much light is coming in from the window. It's SO annoying! Ok... frustration vent complete!

0 comments: