Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day Two

We're still not doing anything academic, but we're focusing more on getting to know each other - as well as the routines. We had a school orientation conducted by the VP and one of the teachers. The largest part of the "tour" was spent on bathroom behavior and procedures. I'm still surprised at how much emphasis is placed on teaching bathroom behavior and procedures for walking around the school and eating in the cafeteria. 

I am also surprised with the time and energy placed on teaching basic social skills. I guess I had always assumed that things like emotions, feelings, and reading facial cues was a natural part of maturation, but I guess it's only a natural step if the student sees it through modeling. Anytown uses a program called Second Steps. This program uses large photos, videos, and teacher scripts to teach many of these social skills and analyzing of feelings & emotions. 

The dynamics of this class are going to be interesting: ADHD, Autism, mental retardation, tourettes, ESL, communication disorders, etc. 2 are recent refugees, and 4 are considered behavioral issues. 

We have rearranged the seats 6 times already... but I think we finally figured out one that will work. I have 2 little girls in my class that I have coined my "diva's-in-training". I have a firm rule about running/jumping down the stairs... and when this rule is broken... they start over again. I asked T to do it... and I got full blown diva attitude: the lip, pouting, snapping fingers, dirty looks, head bop and stomping.... the WHOLE thing! I feel like I've walked into an episode of Maury Povich. Wow.... and to think.... she's 8! I've gotten similar reactions to my requests for tying shoes, putting shoes back on, putting materials away... and pretty much everything I've asked her. Sheesh... selective hearing at it's very best!!!

0 comments: