Thursday, March 15, 2007

Orientation Leader!

I applied this term to be an Orientation Leader starting in the summer term. What this would entail is learning about the services and departments on campus... and teaching incoming freshman/transfer students about the school.

I thought that it would be a great “resume” buffer, and would also give me some leadership experience that I would be invaluable when teaching. I’ve done a lot of teaching and public speaking around kids... but have rarely had the experience of doing it in front of adult students/parents and in groups. I’m looking forward to working with the other leaders, and also learning more about the things that are offered here in campus.

In Spring term, I have to go through a class of training, plus a weekend retreat (probably some leadership building thing). Then, the orientations themselves start up right after the 4th of July, and run 3x a week. I’m hoping I’ll be able to still take 12-14 credits during summer term. Maybe I’ll get lucky and get more online classes, or just classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. Cross your fingers.

What I’ll be doing, is taking students around campus during Orientation, conducting Peer Advising sessions to tell them about registration, financial aid, housing, clubs, graduation, and answering pretty much any question they’ll have. I’ll also be advising in a Major session. What that means is that, after lunch on Orientation days, students break up by their chosen major, and meet with an advisor in that major. During spring term training, I’ll be placed in a specific major that I’ll be responsible for learning everything about... and advising in that major’s session all summer long. I’m HOPING that I”ll end up in the Education/Social Science major since it’s my own, and I know all about it!!!

0 comments: