
Merry Christmas 2007 -- Wow… this year has definitely been full!
I started the year as a Junior at Portland State… and now I’m a second term Senior. I’ll be graduating in June with my BS in Social Science, and a minor in Education. I’m also working on getting my graduate school applications sent out over the next few weeks. I’m currently applying to 5 graduate schools here in Oregon, so wish me luck! I’m hoping to start grad school around July, and that’ll be a 13-month program finishing with teaching credentials for preK-8, and a Masters degree in Education. I’m so excited to finally be seeing some major progress in this phase of my life, and I’m even more excited about moving on to the next phase.
Another large part of this past year revolved around being an Orientation Leader on campus. I worked as a peer advisor, gave campus tours, and helped educate incoming students about the requirements for graduation, and focused on helping those planning on going into education. I was very glad to see the long hours end, but I’m also very thankful for the experience that it gave me. It also gave me some great connections with advisors and directors (which has helped immensely in the pursuit for letters of recommendation).
I know this isn’t going to come as a shock to anyone… but I also got to move (AGAIN) this summer. The university turned my former building into a “freshman-only” building, so I got relocated. As annoying as it was to move again, I have to say … I love it! I moved to a place twice the size of my former apartment, went from a studio to a 1-bedroom, and went from a sterile, brand new building with no character, to a vintage building built in 1927 with the original hardwood floors, built-in cabinets, and a much quieter part of campus. It’s so nice to have a place where the bed isn’t the focal point of the apartment, and where I can feel comfortable to have people over. There’s also the location plus side… I’m across the street from the LDS Institute of Religion! It’s so nice being that close to such a wonderful place.
Over the past few months, I’ve also been volunteering as an aide in a first grade classroom at a Spanish immersion school. I absolutely love it. I work specifically with the reading/language arts teacher, which means that I don’t have to know Spanish (which is a great thing… since I don’t). I really wanted to be back in the classroom, and this has really helped me remember why I’m doing all this. I’ll be working with this class from now till the end of their school year. I’m also getting my first experience with younger grades, which has been great!
I hope you all have had a wonderful 2007, and are looking forward to an equally fantastic 2008. My holiday wish is that you are able to see the blessings in your life and are grateful to the Savior for everything around you. My thoughts and prayers are with you all throughout the year. I want you all to know how much your friendships and love mean to me and how much they keep me going daily when things get difficult. May all your holiday wishes come true, and may you be able to spend that time with loved ones. I love you all – Merry Christmas!
Saturday, December 22, 2007
Christmas Newsletter 2007
Posted by Jenn at 11:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Hey Jenn, what a blast from the past to see your sisters pic on your blog... wow I remember them as little blond girls. Crazy... glad to hear you're doing well. Love brianne
Post a Comment