I know this person. Ill call this person Z. We hang out, but its not that often. I like hanging out with her, you know. I don’t have any friends here in Oregon, and its kind of nice to have someone to talk to, and hang out with away from work and school.
I think I annoy her though because she has lots of friends, and has lots of commitments, and I do (and always have) come across as a very needy person when it comes to human contact. I can only imagine how irritating I am when I call Z and want to come over, or get together to hang out. Im pretty sure that Z probably avoids my calls and screens caller ID when my number pops up (heck, I would). I've tried to make jokes about it... like saying things like I'm sure she'd rather have a kick in the head than see me after seeing me during the week. I try to put myself in her shoes and wonder what it would be like if one of my friends appeared to crave friendship that badly, and I was her only resource... how would I handle it. I would FREAK!!! I know I would!!!
I totally understand that its ridiculous to have only one outlet. I get that. What do you think was one of the causes of my breakdown 2 years ago? J was my only outlet, and I was Js. When we started introducing other people into that (out of necessity) it became too much for me to take, and I cracked. I know I do my best when I have lots of outlets, because they don’t feel overwhelmed with the responsibility of all-of-me and I don’t feel the need for them to take on all-of-me. The problem lies in the fact that I don’t have any outlets up here. I know Z wouldn't want to be thought of as an outlet, Im overwhelming, I know it. I always have been.
Why cant I be fun? Why cant I be the kind of friend that can just go to the gym with someone, or to pizza, or out shopping with? Because people don’t see me that way. I don’t know why. I know Im not fun. I never have been; thats always been B. B has always taken on the fun role; I took on the adult role. Problem is that I am an adult... not a grandma.
I think a lot of my friends have also had to come to grips with the fact that I am so much younger than most of them as well. I brought that up to J (who is also a lot older than I am) and J said that it tended to take people a while (if ever) to understand that although I was only 29, I am an older person who has had lots of experiences, and can match wits in any conversation with a person in almost any situation. Most always-single child-less 29 year olds cannot say that, but most of them haven’t raised numerous children, given out great marital/parenting advice, dealt with dating/marriage, infancy/childhood/teenagers, divorce/remarriage, etc. J also said that it takes people who haven’t known me forever a while to understand this about me. I guess J has a point.
What’s bad is the wondering. One day, Z had mentioned that there are people in her office who talk about someone behind another’s back. I mean, come on it is an office of 30 with primarily women who love to talk. It kind of makes me wonder what is being said behind mine.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Z
Posted by Jenn at 1:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment