Saturday, May 3, 2008

AHA Moment


I should be doing my homework right now, but I just had to post this. It's my A-HA moment, and it's pretty delayed, but it still struck me really hard.

While I'm doing my homework, I've got the TV on (I know, turn it off and study, but oh well). So, as I was saying, the TV is on. Tonight's "Wonderful World of Disney" is the "Chronicles of Narnia". Let me preface this by saying, I've seen this before, but it's been over a year, at least. So, I'm sitting here watching it, and I just realized something. This is about the sacrifice Christ made for us. Now, I know C.S. Lewis was very religious minded, and I had heard that the Narnia series was about spiritual matters. I even remembered the "Sons of Adam" and the "Daughters of Eve" reference... but I hadn't really been paying much attention when I saw it last time (apparently). So, tonight I'm sitting here, studying, and it occurs to me. ... Aslan is Jesus Christ. When he tells the children that he must "go on alone" and goes to the White Witch, he is representing the Savior when He gave himself to those who crucified Him. When he is shamed (by having his hair cut) and is tied down and taunted... that's the Savior going through the city carrying the cross. Then, of course, there's the Resurrection depicted by Aslan's return to life., and the promotion to Kings and Queens of the children at the end.

I'm not quite sure how I didn't see this before... but maybe it's like reading the scriptures. Certain things pop out at certain times, and others do not. I guess it would have also helped had I read the books as a kid. All I know... is that I'll be reading these books and watching the movie again VERY soon!

0 comments: