
Have you ever blown bubbles with a child?
Have you seen the look on their faces as they anticipate the blow.... and how they light up as they spot each bubble? Their excitement... the wonder... the awe! They're surprise as they try to reach out and touch one and feel it pop. The splash against their finger... the clench of their eyes as the spray bounces back at them. The quick scan for other bubbles that can create the same exciting effect on their little faces. The disappointment when they realize that all the bubbles are gone.... and then their pleading look to you to "do it again!" Anyone who has played this game knows the initial fun... that is generally followed by the exhaustion of doing the same thing over and over!
While taking my bubble bath tonight, I found myself staring at the soap bubbles... close up.... as if seeing them for the first time, and I found myself with the picture of the child's face. No matter how many times you blow the bubbles, young kids will look at each bubble with equal awe and fascination... as if its the first time. I found myself comparing that to how children see so many things... and how adults lose that fascination. I have recently found myself with the strong desire to look at something as simple as a bubble and see it for the first time. Now, I recognize that it's not exactly possible to go back and see something you've seen a million times for the very first time.... but I'm determined to find a way to make it work.
I sat there staring at this small pool of soap bubbles in the bathtub. I watched the way the candlelight shimmered against the bubbles and the way they moved along the top of the water... so smoothly. I stared at the smaller bubbles and noted the ribbons of white between each bubble, creating a sort of lace-like effect. I stared at the various sizes, and to see faces and pathways and pictures in the "lace." Everything else ceased. There was no music; there was no candle; there was no worry; there was no me. There was only bubbles. There was only lace. There were only faces and landscapes. There was only that moment!!! I guess it is possible to see something so common (yet beautiful) and be thoroughly in awe and utterly enamored. Wonder what else I can see again... for the first time?! Wonder what my next "moment" in time and space will be!?




0 comments:
Post a Comment