I am absolutely furious (as if you didn't get that from the post title)!!! After class today, I rode with one of my cohort members (who's placed at Anytown also) up to the school for my meeting with Mrs. Z. I got to Anytown at about 12:10 or so.
The secretary introduced me to the principal. The other member of my cohort (C) and I were standing in the principals office... well, I was in the doorway while they were talking. C worked at Anytown last year so knows everyone already... and has a very good connection with the principal. The principal made comments to C such as "I didn't really want another student teacher... but I had to take her," and "doesn't she know what an inconvenience this is."
The secretary asked me about my security badge (what badge????). I told her I had never heard anything about a "badge". Apparently, we all need a badge from the district office in order to be allowed into the building. By now, it's 12:25... and get this... the district office closes at 12:30 on Thursdays. I know... seriously?!?!?! I heard the principal tell C, "why doesn't she know about the badges... she should have known." Well, I asked C, and she told me that the only reason she knew about them was because she worked there last year.
I told the secretary that I had a meeting with Mrs. Z, and I would get the badge before the students started. Well, Mrs. Z went home for lunch -- and they wouldn't let me stick around and wait for her. I was told that without a badge, and without a "chaperone", I wouldn't be allowed in the building beyond the front office. What?!?!? There's NO students in the building... and I'm being treated like a terrorist.
Should I mention that everyone involved in this is African-American? Should I mention that the 2 other student teachers that they allowed (and were excited about) are African-American? Should I mention that this school is in a low economic area with a dominant African-American population? Should I mention that the school is named after a Civil Rights activist? Nope.. didn't think so.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Reverse Racism
Posted by Jenn at 5:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment