I guess I should explain why I'm heading to CA.
Most of you know my dad, Ken. His health has been really poor for the past 10 years or so... and it seems to be continuing on that course (albeit, speeding up). My sister called me a few days ago and said that he's "fading really fast" and wanted to know if it was at all possible for me to come home for a little while... to potentially say goodbye. Since I'm not in a fulltime employment situation, this time would be the most ideal to go down there... so I'm heading that direction on Saturday.
I have rather mixed emotions about the whole thing. Yes, I am concerned... but if you knew his health "track record", you'd understand my hesistance towards getting prematurely emotional. He has been in/out of hospitals for years, has been in comas, on life support, had a 5-way bypass, lost a leg, lost fingers (and is slated to lose 3 more), been on dialysis 3x a week for a while now, has flatlined and been brought back multiple times, and has suffered major infections and diabetic ulcers for the last several years. I have not lived near him for over 5 years now, and each time I go back, I am amazed at the weight loss he has suffered(he's 92 lbs at present), and am forced to hide my shock at how frail and old he appears (he's only 55... 56 in March). I try to call and talk to him at least once a week... but over the past few months, his ability to hold the phone and carry on a call of any length is greatly decreased. He is now fighting pnuemonia and the gangrene in his remaining fingers.
As a religious person, and a practical person... I realize that he is not going to improve; I wish he could make a full recovery, but I know that this isn't going to happen (barring a miracle). The doctors are fighting an uphill battle. There is no cure for diabetes, and his advanced stage makes it more unlikely that any improvement will occur. Right now, the doctors are simply in fire-fighting mode: new symptom, try to fight it before the next symptom appears, or before they begin to join forces. I know that this person is not who he really is.
I know that he deserves the peace that comes from passing into the next life where he will not have hallucinations, be exhausted from fighting what his body throws at him, and be able to move around with ease and comfort. He will be able to sit/stand without effort, enjoy his loved ones, and be free from the chains of physical and mental addiction, pain, fear, guilt, anger and sadness. He will, once again, be rejoined with his father... with a full awareness of one others personal sacrifices and shortcomings... and be able to move past them into a true and honest (and eternal) father-son relationship. He will be able to welcome home his mother and work with his parents, inlaws and my mother to prepare a place for all of his posterity. He will be with my mom, to see our successes, as well as our trials. They will be there when son-in-laws join the family and future grandchildren are born.
This is not a sad progression. Yes, we will be sad when he leaves us... but we know that he has so much waiting there for him. We know that this is NOT how he would want to live. We know that this is a painful, frustrating and sad way to go through life, and that we should not focus on our own saddness as cause to make someone continue "living" this way.
Part of me hopes that this isn't goodbye. I lost my mom 4 1/2 years ago, and am still struggling with the fact that I wasn't there, and that I never got the opportunity for the sort of goodbye I would have liked. I have, however, allowed myself the chance since then to do my mom's temple work.. and made that time my chance to say my goodbyes. My sister and I talked, and decided that this week would be full of movie nights, family dinners, fires in the fireplace, and talks about one anothers hopes/dreams/memories. We each have felt a void when it comes to our lack of having done this with mom... and although this is not something we have ever done together (and is really un-like us)... it would be a great memory in and of itself, not to mention the things we might learn from one another in the process. If this is the end, I will have had this chance to say goodbye... and if not, than it will still have been a good memory nonetheless.
Not everyone has a chance to know "it" is coming. I encourage you all to make those memories last. Have those talks. Don't put off those movie nights. Play games together. Talk about your childhood. Get a genealogy interview book like this one, and use it for conversation prompts. Take family photos... annual is fine, but the more often the better (doesn't have to be pro). Make traditions. Sit down with your loved ones and share your desires for when you pass. Have the difficult conversations (cemetery/funeral locations, funeral service requests, burial requests, whom to call when it happens, financial arrangements, where things are located, etc)... they won't be there to help you figure all that out when the time comes, so find out now. Love each other. Share with each other. Don't undermine how each others emotions are being displayed... we all grieve, love, stress and relax in very different ways. Just be there to support one another. You never know when you'll need to rely on one another, or lose each other... so take care of each other.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
My dad
Posted by Jenn at 10:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
The clarification on what "dad" you were talking about what not needed but thanks for that. Yes your "dad" Is Ken. But I can understand other's people's potential confusion seeing as how you have a Utah dad as well!!!!!
I have to say something... Regardless of what you are going through for school, work, etc, I am TRULY disappointed in your attempts to make it home for his "final goodbye" Because that is NOT was it was, it was a CRY for help Jennifer... Be here, Help your dad, and don’t just sit next to him on his death bed. You have NEVER been there for him, and simply left it in someone else’s, MINE.... You say things like be there to help my sisters and my dad... THAT IS BULL.. You have NEVER helped me Jennifer!!! I have ran "OUR FATHERS" business with NO help from ANYONE for over 5 years now, and still managed to have a full time job, and be a mother. NEVER have I put myself 1st... I knew where My priorities needed to be.. It’s shame that your life is more important right now, when your "father" needs you most.
I truly see NO reason why you can not give up Utah right now. Put something on hold for the sake of your father, GOD KNOWS I HAVE!!!!!!! I am not asking you to give up your dreams, but put things on hold to help SOMEONE ELSE OUT…
You need SOME OF THIS BURRDEN as well; I am not his only daughter here. Do you want him to be in a home at the age of 55? Or would you like to see him live the rest of his days with some pride here in his home.
I am managing his struggling business, raising a kid, caring for dad and looking for a second job on top of all that just to make ends meet here at home. WHY ME? Why does nobody else have this burden? This IS NOT the life that I choose; this is the life that I was LEFT WITH while everyone else walked away.
Any time is appreciated so please do whatever you can, But I AM TIRED of being the ONLY ONE TO care for dad and his business. I have a son that should take priority, but sadly these days he does not. I needed you to be home, not just visit your father…. I can never imagine leaving all this on someone else.. It would Kill me not to be there doing my part. Do you even think about it?
I am aware of the fact that you have your education to think about, but I TOO have a life that I have to think about. And my priorities are NOT MYSELF at this time. It is dad.
Please excuse the hostility, but I Have so much pressure on my shoulders, I AM responsible for dad, this homes bills, dads bills and the apartments, and need to look for a new job just to make the ends meet. 3 days a week get up at 5 am take dad to dialysis, feed him, bath him, Dr. Appointments, Medicine re-fills, change his clothes, bathroom visits if necessary Volunteer at Alex’s school, take him to Taekwondo, and be a mother Truly if it were just me and Alex I would be very happy and comfortable, but I can not change the facts. I just wonder why me???? Why does NOONE else do what I do? Is it just expected that Beckie will break her back for OUR dad & his life.
Did you even know that I can cancerous cells removed from my cervix? I’m going back in for treatment on the 27th, Somewhere between Dad’s 7:45 Dr. Appointment in Concord for a new catheter, Alex’s 11:30 Parents Teacher Conference, Dad’s 1;30 Dialysis, Picking Alex up from school at 2:30 and then taking him with me to my cryotherapy follow up appointment in Brentwood and crossing my fingers that the cancer did not grow back. So that I can live another day for the ones that need me…… Somehow someway I figure out how to budget my time and live this life, I am just very saddened that this life in California is too much for you to give up your self for right now.
Hey Jenn. My prayers are with you . . . all of you.
Post a Comment